- CIE XYZ values
- sRGB color space
- larger-gamut color spaces
- perceptual color spaces
- Cover some similar ground as Oklab blog post
- Probably introduce luma / chroma / hue model & Munsell history
- perceptual color space is noneuclidean
- CIELab is standard perceptual color space but has bad hue shift
- IPT (family) has excellent hue
- CIECAM is sophisticated
- but performs poorly on gradient task because of chroma compression
- gamut compression
Poynton Color FAQ. A classic resource but missing information on more recent developments such as sRGB.
Colour Appearance Issues in Digital Video, HD/UHD, and D‑cinema. This is Poynton’s 2018 PhD, with very rich information on modern digital video formats.
color vision by Bruce MacEvoy. A comprehensive resource, arguably the best on the web.
The Wikipedia article on sRGB is ok and links to other resources.
Color science has been a mature topic for some time. Here are a number of books on the topic, sorted by date:
Color in Business, Science, and Industry, Judd and Wyszecki, 1975.
Color Science: Concepts and Methods, Quantitative Data and Formulae, Wyszecki and Stiles, 2000.
The Reproduction of Colour, RWG Hunt, 2004.
Colorimetry: Understanding the CIE System, Janos Schanda (ed), 2007.
Color: An Introduction to Practice and Principles, Rolf Kuehni, 2012.
Color Appearance Models, Mark Fairchild, 2013.
Billmeyer and Saltzman’s Principles of Color Technology, Roy Berns, 2019.